Manchac or Akers is a small town in Tangipahoa Parish on the old Illinois Central Railroad line. Akers is located on Lake Maurepas on the Pass Manchac waterway, which connects to Lake Pontchartrain. Akers was named after the first Postmaster William W. Akers. The Akers Post Office was established in 1894. The name “Manchac” derives from a Choctaw expression for “rear entrance” to Lake Pontchartrain.
Prior to 1894 Akers was North Pass as indicated on this 1893 map. No postal information found on North Pass In 1857 a lighthouse was built at this location.