Avery Island, Avery Island P. O., Avery or Salt Mine Station is a town in Iberia Parish. Avery Island is a salt dome best known as the source of Tabasco sauce. The island is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The island was named after the Avery family, who settled there in the 1830s. Long before that, Native Americans mined salt that was found on Avery Island. Avery Island also played an important part in Civil War.
Before the Civil War, Edmund McIlhenny joined the Avery family, by marrying Mary Eliza Avery, daughter of Daniel Dudley Avery and Sarah Marsh Avery. In 1868, McIlhenny founded McIlhenny Company, and began manufacturing Tabasco brand pepper sauce.
The Avery Post Office was established in 1886 and discontinued in 1893. Avery Island Post Office was established in 1893 and still in use today. Salt Mine Station was a railroad depot on the early 1900s Southern Pacific Railroad that ran from Texas to New Orleans. Salt Mine Station was a spur off this railroad.