Atchafalaya (Pronounced ah-chafa-laya) was a town in St. Landry Parish on the Atchafalaya River. The Post Office was established in 1858 and discontinued in 1889. Franklin C. Robertson was the first Postmaster. In 1883 the population was about 300.
In 1889 Atchafalaya became Melville. Melville’s first Postmaster was Lyman J. Dodge. Melville is known as the Atchafalaya River Catfish Capital of Louisiana.
The name “Atchafalaya” comes from Choctaw for “long river”, from hachcha, “river”, and falaya, “long”.