Archibald is a small town in Richland Parish on the New Orleans and Northwestern Railroad. Archibald was settled during and immediately following the Civil War and was named for J. Burton Archibald. He donated land when the railroad came through in the 1880s. The Post Office was established in 1891 and James B. Archibald Jr. was the first Postmaster. The population in 1891 was 50 with about 200 living in the area.
Per Mr. Ted R. Holmes “Archibald still has a small post office. Rural delivery comes from the Mangham post office. There’s no longer a railroad. U.S. Highway 425 runs north to Rayville and south to Mangham, Baskin and Winnsboro. State Highway 15 turns west toward Alto and Monroe.”