Amite (Amite City) is a small town in Tangipahoa Parish. The town was named by the New Orleans, Jackson and Great Northern Railroad in 1852. The railroad tracks were laid starting in the northern part of the Parish working south. The depots were given Indian names like Tangipahoa, Tickfaw, Natalbany, Poncharoula and Amite City.
The Amite City Post Office was established in 1855. Charles S. Stewart was postmaster. Amite City was renamed Amite in 1901. Edson E. Burnham was the postmaster at that time.