Alco was a Lumber Company town in Vernon Parish. The Alexandria Lumber Company purchased many thousands of acres of rich timber land in northeast Vernon Parish very near the Natchitoches Parish line. The company formed a town and it was named ALCO, using the initials of Alexandria Lumber Company as the name. Alco began its mill run in 1920 and sadly on September 7, 1945 the mill cut its last logs. In 1946 the mill was disassembled and was shipped by rail to the Longleaf Mill.